A filligreed ‘P’

I have seen a whole lot of letters in different manuscripts where the letter itself is rather simple, but inside them and around them are drawn faint, thin curlicues. I have learnt that these are called filligreed letters. I wanted to try to paint one myelf and chose this ‘P’ from a 15th century manuscript.

Finished: 2010-11-28

Original: http://cdm.csbsju.edu/u?/HMMLClrMicr,14499

Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.


  • Aryanhwy  On January 20, 2011 at 1:12 pm

    Initials like this are also called “puzzle letters” or “puzzle initials” — useful to know if you’re searching, e.g., the British Library website for examples!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: